Olissippo Lapa Palace *****
"Seen today as Lisbon's visitors' lounge, the magnificent hilltop Lapa Palace Hotel with its beatiful gardens, a true oasis in the centre of Lisbon, has been favoured and frequented by international aristocracy, politicians and artists alike. Right after the earthquake of 1755, the first Baron of Porto Covo built his house in S. Domingos Street starting the creation of the Lapa district. Approximately 115 years later the succeeding Viscount built for one of his sons a beautiful house in the Lapa District. The house was later sold to the Counts of Valenças, who in 1883 decided to transform it into a Palace. The Palace remained a family house until 1992, when the family of the Count sold it to the family Simões de Almeida, who turned it into a hotel, Hotel da Lapa. In 2002, the Hotel inaugurated the Villa (a new wing), with 2 suites, 4 junior suites and 8 rooms, all with balcony and beautiful views over the gardens. The rooms and suites of the new wing have been redecorated with Portuguese fabrics and furniture and the decoration is different in every floor as well as the 21 rooms of the original palace."
"With palatial common areas, well preserved gardens and great peaceful rooms."